Before contracting the services of anyone from outside one’s own parish, institution, or organization for ministry or speaking engagements, it is necessary to submit a request for verification of good standing to the Chancery. This applies to:
- Bishops, priests, deacons, men and women religious, and laity from outside the Diocese of Covington.
- Men and women religious and laity of the Diocese of Covington who are from outside one’s own parish, institution or organization. (Priests and deacons of the Diocese of Covington and those who have been granted faculties in the Diocese are automatically cleared for ministry.)
A request must be submitted for every individual event, even if the prospective speaker/minister has provided service in the diocese previously. Confirmation/booking of the speaker/minister and advertising for an event may not take place until good standing has been verified and clearance given to accept his/her services. Clearance to accept the services of a speaker/minister is event-specific and does not carry over to any future events or to any other parishes/institutions.
- Fill in the appropriate form below. Please provide all information requested on the form to expedite the screening process. The form must be signed by a priest of the Diocese, the proper authority of an institution or organization, or by his/her delegate. The form should not be given to the prospective speaker/minister for completion. However, it is permissible to ask the speaker/minister for the necessary information. (It is suggested that prospective Catholic speakers/ministers be informed of Diocesan policy: All who wish to speak or minister must be trained and current in the safe environment program of their home diocese and have a clear background check on file, regardless of whether they interact with minors and/or vulnerable adults. This advance notice gives speakers/ministers the opportunity to complete these requirements before the screening process takes place. Non-Catholic speakers are screened using similar criteria but are not expected to complete safe environment training or a background check through the Catholic Church.)
- Send the completed form to the Chancery. Requests should be submitted well in advance, no later than eight weeks before the desired date of service. Earlier submission is strongly recommended for international speakers/ministers. Exceptions to the time limit include funerals and other emergency situations, but a request still must be submitted.
Diocese of Covington
1125 Madison Ave
Covington, KY 41011-3115
Or Email to: [email protected]
Or Fax to:
- The Chancery will contact the appropriate authorities to determine the status of the prospective speaker/minister.
- A letter will be sent from the Chancery to the requesting priest, proper authority, or delegate indicating whether or not clearance has been granted to accept the services of the speaker/minister.
Click below for the appropriate application.
Click here to add your own text